Dr James McLean
Dr McLean is a locally & internationally trained Orthopaedic Surgeon with a special interest in arthroscopic (key-hole) surgery and reconstructive and joint-replacement surgery. His primary goal is to obtain the best possible outcome for his patients and their family.
Dr McLean graduated from the University of Adelaide Medical School in 2004. Prior to commencing practice, he completed 9 years of post-graduate surgical training. During this time he travelled extensively, obtaining additional experience from centres of orthopaedic excellence in Austria, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom and the USA.
Keeping up-to-date with new developments and technical advancements is integral to his practice and Dr McLean regularly participates in continued education activities…
Following the completion of general basic surgical training and advanced orthopaedic surgical training, Dr McLean sought additional training abroad, including two competitive, sub-specialty clinical fellowships
- Shoulder & Elbow Fellowship at Addenbrooke’s Hospital / University of Cambridge (United Kingdom)
- Upper Limb & Hand Fellowship at St Paul’s Hospital / University of British Columbia (Canada)
Dr McLean was awarded the higher degree of Master of Surgery in 2010. He has a keen interest in research and has accepted several scholarships, grants and prizes for his published work, including several “Best Paper” awards. Dr McLean’s practice has evolved to include the development of new methods of diagnosis and treatment. He continues to contribute to research and teaching through his clinical appointment at the University of Adelaide.
Common areas of patient care:
- All arthroscopic, minimally-invasive rotator cuff repairs, stabilisations, labral tears, impingement and biceps surgery
- Muscle-preserving approaches for total shoulder replacements and reverse total shoulder replacements
- Revision shoulder replacement surgery
- Bone transfer and structural bone grafting surgery for major instability
- Tendon transfers and reconstructive surgery for “irreparable” shoulder disorders
- All fractures (broken bones) around the humerus, scapula, glenoid and clavicle
Wrist / Hand
Dr McLean consults at
- Ashford Specialist Centre
- Central Districts Hospital
- Flinders Private Hospital
- Memorial Medical Centre
Click here for Dr McLean’s national registration details.
Level 4, 57 Anzac Highway Ashford,
South Australia 5035
1 Flinders Drive Bedford Park,
South Australia 5042
1 Kermode Street North Adelaide,
South Australia 5006
25-37 Jarvis Road Elizabeth Vale,
South Australia 5112